Game Changing, Name Changing Tips

In the hassle of planning a wedding, you will consider pushing off the boring, yet important paperwork that comes with making sure everything is official after you say ‘I do.' I mean, I would pick food tasting and cake tasting over paper work any day! It may seem like an intimidating process to get your last name changed, but don’t put it off because it isn’t as scary as you think!


STARTING IT RIGHT WITH THE MARRIAGE LICENSE. Once you file the application with your new name and the ceremony has been performed with the marriage license issued, "TA-DA!" You NOW have legal proof of your name change.

INFORMING SOCIAL SECURITY: When you are applying for the marriage license, the clerk should give you a packet with sites and applications to help you change your name on your Social Security card. You need to remember to ask for copies of everything, even an extra copy of the marriage license, so you can provide it when changing your name on other accounts. You will need to fill out an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5) usually found on the SSA website. ( )

NEXT, CHANGING YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE: Many BMVs want you to come in person with your papers (at least Indiana does). This is the link to the BMV site in Indiana :

You NEED to bring documents that do these things:

  • Identity - birth certificate, passport
  • Social Security Administration -  card, W-2 Form
  • Name Change Evidence - marriage license
  • Indiana Residence - Recent bank statements  

I suggest you bring all of the above documents--and even more documents if you have them--just to make you have EVERYTHING they can use to make the process easier for the both of you. Let’s be honest; no one likes spending the full day at the BMV, so the more documents you bring, the more chances you don’t have to go back.

CHANGING THE PASSPORT: This is extremely important if you are doing all of the name changing before the honeymoon,  because you need to make sure your passport matches your new name! You will need to fill out a Form DS-5504, if your passport was issued LESS THAN one year ago. Or, you will need to complete Form DS-82, if your passport was issued MORE THAN one year ago. You can either mail in your application or complete it online. Once you have filled out the application, you will need to send in your documents supporting the name change, including the marriage license, valid passport, and one colored passport photo.


Other Essential places to consider when changing your name:

  • Bank (credit cards/ accounts)
  • Post Office
  • Doctors’ Offices
  • Utility Companies
  • Payroll
  • Insurance

All the information can be found on your local government website, or if you have the extra bucks, an attorney can also do the filing for you.